Bala Quila

Bala Quila

Bala Quila or Alwar fort stands high on a steep hill and offers a panoramic view of the city from its watch towres. It is 304 meters above the city and offers a panoramic view of the city from the watch towers. The fort extends about 5 km from the North to South and 1.6 km from East to West. It has 15 large, 52 small towers which contains 444 loopholes for musketry. There are 3359 kanguras with each containing two loopholes. The fort has five entrances namely Jaipol, Suraj Pol, Lakshman Pol, Chandpol, Kishan Pol, and Andheri Darwaza. It is presently accessible by road through Pratap Bandh forest entry leading to Jaipol. The fort is believed to be built as a fortress by Alaghu Rai in 1049 AD. It then passed on to the Nikumbha Rajputs, Khanzada rulers (Alawal Khan and Hasan Khan Mewati) and rulers of Bharatpur. The fort was conquered in 1775 AD by Maharao Raja Pratap Singh, the founder of Alwar. The main fort has extensive fortifications and carved marble column, delicate latticed balconies, beautiful murals. Most of the other structures inside the fort wall reflect the grand style of yore such as Salim Sagar, Suraj Kund and many temples. Alwar buffer safari near Bala Quila– The forest in and around Bala Quila represents rich floral and faunal diversity of Aravali mountains. The heritage structures located inside the fort walls can be visited during Alwar buffer safari. Safari Timings can be easily obtained at Pratap Bandh entry gate. (Entry to Bala quila is closed on Wednesday)